- Aboriginal Women’s Violence Prevention Grants Program
Aboriginal Women’s Violence Prevention Grants Program
The Aboriginal Women’s Violence Prevention Grants program is intended to support Aboriginal governments and organizations in Newfoundland and
Labrador in their efforts to prevent violence.
The Violence Prevention Initiative recognizes that there are many valid approaches to ending violence including: increasing awareness,
education, training, investing in leadership development, capacity building, or projects that offer healing or the ability for an individual
or community to address violence in a culturally appropriate manner.
It is expected that proposals will include one or more of the following activities:
- Preparing and implementing a violence prevention plan of action;
- Implementing violence prevention programs aimed at men, women, children and youth, families, older adults, and other populations;
- Developing public awareness and education materials or activities such as posters, pamphlets or advertisements;
- Providing healing programs;
- Improving programs and delivery of services at shelters for Aboriginal women
- Developing anti-violence training and materials;
- Providing violence prevention training for community members and service providers;
- Developing Aboriginal women’s leadership capacity;
- Developing women’s economic or educational capacities;
- Improving the cultural strength of Aboriginal communities;
- Supporting the transmission of cultural knowledge and language
- Conducting research;
- Attending policy and program consultations on anti-violence work;
- Developing and delivering cultural and other wellness program, activities, and training that support violence prevention; and/or,
- Developing mentoring programs.
Aboriginal governments and organizations within the province of Newfoundland and Labrador may apply for a project grant up to a maximum of $30,000.
Project funding may be used to cover any of the following expenses:
- Travel Costs
- Professional Fees
Please note that any unused project funds must be returned to the Women’s Policy Office.
For more information on the Aboriginal Women’s Violence Prevention Grants Program, or to obtain an application form, please contact the
Violence Prevention Initiative at (709) 729-5009 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.