- Exam accommodations are available for apprentices or trade qualifiers with disabilities or language barriers and are scheduled at the end of block/level training periods.
- Accommodations include but are not limited to extra time to complete the exam, an interpreter/reader, a quiet location, a scribe, special exam formatting, or assistive technology.
- Candidates must have appropriate supporting documentation from a qualified professional (i.e. an individual who possesses professional credentials to perform an assessment and give recommendations for accommodations).
- Documentation provided to support an accommodation request must be deemed acceptable by the Director of Apprenticeship or delegated authority.
Requests for accommodations have to be received no later than 3 weeks prior to a scheduled exam writing date.
How do I apply?
- Apprentices or Trade Qualifiers must request an exam accommodation in writing to the email address for block exams (email@example.com) or Red Seal certification exams (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Apprenticeship Program Officers may also submit accommodation requests on behalf of individuals. Supportive medical or other professional documentation outlining the specific accommodation required must be included with the request.
- The accommodated exam can be conducted up to 20 days after the original date of the group exam.
Deadline to Apply
- The request must be received no later than 3 weeks prior to a scheduled exam writing to ensure time for logistical arrangements for the accommodations request. This may include securing a reader, a quiet space, technology supports, and an extended timeframe to complete the exam.
- The Exam Coordinator reviews email request to ensure the type of accommodation needed is identified and required supporting documentation is included.
- Contact is made with an apprentice or trade qualifier to secure any missing or supporting information.
- Exam coordinator will review documentation to ensure it meets requirements, and if necessary will refer it to Management for decision.
- The exam coordinator will ensure availability of a location and invigilator for the requested accommodation(s).
The exam coordinator will email approval to the Apprentice or Trade Qualifier within 5 business days of the completed application being received.
Click here for details on the service standard