A Trade Qualifier is a person who meets the jurisdictional requirements to write the certification examination. Requirements include:
- on-the-job work experience of at least one and a half (1.5) times of an apprenticeship term for a designated trade; and
- documentation of work skills that have been verified by a certified journeyperson in the trade. Documentation must also include verification of hours.
A Trade Qualifier is not complete in-school training, although the option to attend training may be available where the need for theoretical upgrading is identified. Trade Qualifiers who successfully complete the certification examination will receive a Certificate of Qualification.
Steps to apply as a Trade Qualifier in Newfoundland and Labrador
- Applicants complete the Trade Qualifier application form and the Record of Work Experience form. A non-refundable fee of $50.00 is payable prior to the submission of the documents. Payment instructions are on the application.
- If employer verification of hours worked and/or journeyperson verification of skills is not possible, contact an Apprenticeship Program Officer (APO) of the Apprenticeship and Trades Certification Division (ATCD) for further information.
- The completed application and required documents are submitted to the ATCD where a review of the documentation will be conducted. After the review, Recognition of Prior Learning may be recommended.
- Approved Trade Qualifiers will be contacted by the ATCD to discuss dates and applicable fees.
- If unsuccessful, an assessment of the exam results may be conducted to determine areas where further study or experience is needed.
Adobe® Acrobat® Reader software can be used for viewing PDF documents. Download Acrobat® Reader for free.