The Canada-Newfoundland and Labrador Job Grant (CNLJG) provides funding to eligible businesses and organizations to help offset the cost of training for their existing and future employees. The program provides up to a maximum of $10,000 per year towards training an existing employee and up to a maximum of $15,000 for training an unemployed participant.
The employer contributes at least one-third to the cost of training, with the exception of an unemployed participant. The employer must have a job for all participants at the end of training.
- Be a private sector employer, not-for-profit organization, industry association, employer consortia, unions, or an Indigenous government or organization.
- Be incorporated or a sole proprietor.)
- Have a Canada Revenue Agency business number.
- Be in good standing with Registry of Companies and Deeds.
- Have an office location/base in Newfoundland and Labrador.
- More information on eligibility requirements can be found here: Eligibility and Requirements for Canada – NL Job Grant Program.
- Once approved, employers are required to submit activity and financial reports as part of their agreement. For additional details on how to submit an activity and financial reports online, please review Submitting Activity and Financial Reports for Canada – NL Job Grant.
How Do I Apply?
- Employers must first register in LaMPSS to be able to apply online.
- After registering, a password and user ID is provided.
- Before beginning the application, please review Apply in LaMPSS for Canada –NL Job Grant for information that will be required to be provided with the application.
- Employers must complete and submit an online application in LaMPSS along with required information.
- A Contribution Calculator is provided for employers to determine their contribution amounts for the Training Budget, as required in the application.
- Provide a letter of Attestation (as outlined in Eligibility and Requirements for Canada – NL Job Grant Program).
- You can check on the progress of your application by logging into your LaMPSS account and viewing the agreement status.
- Applicants are notified by email after a decision is made on the application – within 30 business days of applying.
- When approval is granted, employers must submit the mandatory Client Contact Form and the mandatory Client Consent Form within 21 business days.
Deadline to Apply
- Continuous intake throughout the year, pending budget availability.
- Complete applications must be received at least 20 business days prior to the start of training to ensure a timely review and assessment of the request for funding and to avoid delays in processing.
- Applications received more than 20 business days prior may be prioritized for assessment based on start date of training.
- Incomplete applications will result in delays.
Day 1: A complete application is received by the Department and is assigned for assessment.
Day 1-10: The application is reviewed by the Department to ensure that the proposed training meets program eligibility and to verify budget availability. Applications may be prioritized for funding subject to demand. Recommendations are made to delegated authority (approver).
Day 10-20: The delegated authority reviews assessment and ensures all information to make a final decision is on file. Applicant will be notified once approval has been granted or denied.
Click here for details on the service standard