On October 23, 2010, an Industrial Inquiry Commission into the labour dispute between the United Steelworkers Local 9508 and Vale Newfoundland and Labrador Limited was initiated. The Commission is comprised of John F. Roil, Q.C., as Inquiry Chairperson, and Randell Earle, Q.C., and Brian R. Gatien as Inquiry Members.
Industrial Inquiry Commission
Under Section 140 of the Labour Relations Act, the Minister Responsible for the Labour Relations Agency may refer matters to and appoint an Industrial Inquiry Commission in order to (i) maintain or secure industrial peace and promote the settlement of disputes; or, (ii) where in an industry a dispute or difference between employers and employees exists or is apprehended.
An Inquiry shall consist of one or more members appointed by the Minister and has the powers of a conciliation board under the Labour Relations Act. An Industrial Inquiry Commission has the power to summon witnesses to give evidence, compel the production of documents, enter and inspect workplaces, and make recommendations to address its terms of reference.
Terms of Reference
The Terms of Reference for the Industrial Inquiry Commission can be viewed at the attached: Industrial Inquiry (41 KB)
- October 8, 2010 – Premier Urges Both Sides in VALE Strike to Resolve Issues; Next Step an Industrial Inquiry
- October 19, 2010 – Minister Announces Appointments of Industrial Inquiry Commission to Address Voisey’s Bay Strike
- October 22, 2010 – Premier Calls Vale and Union Together for Last Effort at Strike Settlement
- October 23, 2010 – Last Minute Talks Unable to Resolve Voisey’s Bay Strike
- December 9, 2010 – Provincial Government Provides Update on Voisey’s Bay Industrial Inquiry Commission
- December 23, 2010 – Provincial Government Receives Phase One Report from Voisey’s Bay Industrial Inquiry Commission
- January 7, 2011 – Provincial Government Releases First Report from Voisey’s Bay Industrial Inquiry Commission
- January 27, 2011 – Provincial Government Pleased That Voisey’s Bay Tentative Agreement Reached
- February 24, 2011 – Tabling of the Final Report of Voisey’s Bay Industrial Inquiry Commission Extended to April 29, 2011
- April 28, 2011 – Final Report of Voisey’s Bay Industrial Inquiry Commission Delayed
- May 11, 2011 – Provincial Government Releases Phase Two Report from Voisey’s Bay Industrial Inquiry Commission
For further information about the Industrial Inquiry Commission, please contact Mr. John Roil, Q.C., Industrial Inquiry Commission Chair at 709-691-1124 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Adobe® Acrobat® Reader software can be used for viewing PDF documents. Download Acrobat® Reader for free.