The program provides a subsidy to assist Private Sector and Not-for-Profit Organizations which include School Districts and Municipalities to create summer jobs for post-secondary students entering or returning to post-secondary studies in the upcoming school year.
The subsidy for Not-for-Profit organizations approved under this program will be 100 per cent of the current minimum wage plus 15 per cent to help offset the mandatory employment related costs (MERCs) to the maximum hours approved (a minimum of 25 hours per week must be provided to maintain the subsidy).
The subsidy for Private Sector employers shall be $5.70 per hour towards minimum wage. Employers can request subsidy for five to twelve weeks, and up to 40 hours per week (a minimum of 25 hours per week must be provided to maintain the subsidy).
Employment must end on or before Monday, September, 2, 2019.
Eligibility for Post-Secondary Students
- Must be entering or returning to Post-Secondary training within the current year.
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada.
- Not be an immediate family member of the employer as defined in the Terms and Conditions.
- Students must be willing to work at least 25 hours per week in order for the employer to maintain the subsidy.
- Students must apply directly to the employer.
Eligibility for Employers
- Be incorporated and have a Canada Revenue Agency business number.
- Be in good standing with Registry of Companies.
- Have an office location/base in Newfoundland and Labrador.
- Activity Reports, Financial Reports, and a copy of the payroll for the student(s) are required to be submitted within 30 calendar days of the agreement end date.
Employers approved for funding must submit an Activity and Financial Report along with a copy of the student’s
payroll within 30 calendar days of the agreement end date.
How do I apply?
- Employers must first Register in LaMPSS to be able to apply online. After registering, a password and user ID is provided. Note: The LaMPSS registration form will only open in Internet Explorer or Mozilla Firefox.
- Before beginning the application, please review the Guidelines and Requirements for eligibility and information required to be included in the application.
- Employers are required to read the Terms and Conditions prior to submission of their application for funding.
- Employers must complete and submit an Online Application in LaMPSS and attach a Job/Position Description Form with the application.
- Employers can check the progress of their application by logging into LaMPSS and viewing the agreement status.
- Employers applying for multiple locations throughout the province must complete a separate application for each area. For example, if your organization plans to have students hired for your Clarenville and Corner Brook locations, please complete one application for your Clarenville location and another for your Corner Brook location.
- Applicants are notified after a decision is made on the application, usually by mid-May.
- Official approval will be the approval letter outlining the number of positions, hours per week and number of weeks approved, regardless of what is requested at time of application.
- When approval is granted, employers must provide the name of the student to be hired within 14 calendar days and submit a Student Contact and Consent form.
Deadline to Apply
- Thursday, March 28, 2019, noon. NDST.
- Assessment of applications will begin after the deadline has passed.
- Incomplete applications will result in delays.
Day 1: A complete application is received by the Department and assigned for assessment. An incomplete application will result in delays.
Day 1-15: Assessment begins after the application deadline has passed. The application is reviewed by the Department to ensure eligibility criteria are met. Applications may be prioritized for funding based on various factors such as demand, economic growth in certain sectors and budget availability. Recommendations are made to the approver.
Day 15-30: The delegated authority reviews assessment and ensures all information to make final decision is on file. Applicant will be notified once approval has been granted or denied.
Click here for details on the service standard.