Transfer of Credit from Post-Secondary Institutions to Complete High School Graduation

Former students of the Province of Newfoundland and Labrador can transfer up to eight (8) credits back into the High School System for graduation. The transfer is at discretion of the Manager, High School Certification and the courses must meet the graduation requirement at the time of the former student’s last year in High School.

Transfer of Credit

  1. The student/former student must be 19 years of age or older and/or out of school for one year.
  2. Only post-secondary studies conducted by an official, recognized institution will be accepted.
  3. An official signed and stamped transcript is required to be sent directly from the issuing institution to the Department of Education and Early Childhood Development.

    Attention: Manager, High School Certification
    Department of Education and Early Childhood Development
    High School Certification
    P.O. Box 8700
    St. John’s, NL A1B 4J6
    Phone: (709) 729-3001
    Fax: (709) 729-0611

  4. A maximum of 8 (eight) credits (55 hours of instruction for one credit and 110 hours of instruction for two credits) can be transferred back to obtain a high school diploma.
  5. A credit review is required before a former student can transfer credits. Complete the Transfer of Credit Application and mail or fax it to the Department of Education and Early Childhood Development.