The Search Institute has defined 40 Developmental Assets, which they call “the building blocks of healthy development.”
Providing these resources, incorporating some of the ideas into our family life, and helping our children to develop some of these values, will provide a solid foundation to become healthy, caring, responsible adults.
These 40 Assets are resources or gifts we can provide our children. They are important at all stages, even into adulthood.
- Family support:
- Family life provides high levels of love and support.
- Positive family communication:
- Young person and parent(s) communicate positively,
- Young person is willing to seek advice and counsel from parents.
- Other adult relationships:
- Young person receives support from three or more nonparent adults.
- Caring neighbourhood:
- Young person experiences caring neighbours.
- Caring school climate:
- School provides a caring, encouraging environment.
- Parent involvement in schooling:
- Parent(s) are actively involved in helping their children succeed in school.
- Community values youth:
- Child perceives that adults in the community value youth.
- Youth as resources:
- Young person is given useful roles in the community.
- Service to others:
- Young person serves in the community one hour or more per week.
- Young person feel safe at home, school, and in the neighbourhood.
Boundaries and Expectations
- Family boundaries:
- Family has clear rules and consequences and monitors their child’s whereabouts.
- School boundaries:
- School provides clear rules and consequences.
- Neighbourhood boundaries:
- Neighbours take responsibility for monitoring young people’s behavior.
- Adult role models:
- Parent(s) and other adults model positive, responsible behavior.
- Positive peer influence:
- Young person’s best friends model responsible behavior.
- High expectations:
- Both parent(s) and teachers encourage children to do well.
Constructive Use of Time
- Creative activities:
- Young person spends three or more hours per week in lessons or practice in music, theater, or other arts.
- Youth programs:
- Young person spends three or more hours per week in sports, clubs, or organizations at school and/or in the community.
- Religious community:
- Young person spends one or more hours per week in activities in a religious institution.
- Time at home:
- Young person is out with friends “with nothing special to do” two or fewer nights per week.
Commitment to Learning
- Achievement motivation:
- Young person is motivated to do well in school.
- School engagement:
- Young person is actively engaged in learning.
- Young person reports doing at least one hour of homework every school day.
- Bonding to school:
- Young person cares about her or his school.
- Reading for pleasure:
- Young person reads for pleasure three or more hours per week.
- Young person places high value on helping other people.
- Equality and social justice:
- Young person places high value on promoting equality and reducing hunger and poverty.
- Young person acts on convictions and stands up for her or his beliefs.
- Young person tells the truth even when it is not easy.
- Young person accepts and takes personal responsibility.
- Young person believes it is important not to be sexually active or to use alcohol or other drugs.
- Planning and decision making:
- Young person knows how to plan ahead and make choices.
- Interpersonal competence:
- Young person has empathy, sensitivity, and friendship skills.
- Cultural competence:
- Young person has knowledge of and comfort with people of different cultural/racial/ethnic backgrounds.
- Resistance skills:
- Young person can resist negative peer pressure and dangerous situations.
- Peaceful conflict resolution:
- Young person seeks to resolve conflict nonviolently.
- Personal power:
- Young person feels he or she has control over “things that happen to me.”
- Young person reports having a high self-esteem.
- Sense of purpose:
- Young person reports that “my life has a purpose.”
- Positive view of personal future:
- Young person is optimistic about her or his personal future.