The American Psychiatric Association definition of Pervasive Developmental Disorders, as published in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual (DSM-IV-TR) outlines the diagnostic criteria for:
- Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD)
- Childhood Disintegrative Disorder
- Pervasive Developmental Disorder Not Otherwise Specified
- Asperger’s Disorder, and
- Rett’s Disorder.
Students diagnosed by a medical professional with a pervasive developmental disorder may require a range of school based services depending on level of need and functioning. A comprehensive assessment is required to inform program planning. Programming decisions are made by the student’s program planning team.
- Autism in Education (Atlantic Canada)
- Autism Society of Canada
- Autism Society of Newfoundland and Labrador
- Geneva Centre for Autism