Every Teaching and Learning Assistant employed in the K-12 school system of this province is required by law to hold a valid Newfoundland and Labrador teaching certificate endorsed with either of the following:
- Primary/Elementary/Secondary or
- Teaching and Learning Assistant
Teaching Certificate endorsed Primary/Elementary, Secondary or Primary/Elementary/Secondary
If you hold one of these 3 certificates, you may apply for Teaching and Learning Assistant positions with your existing certificate. These certificates require completion of an approved Bachelor of Education degree (or equivalent). See requirements and information on how to apply here: https://www.gov.nl.ca/eecd/k12/teaching/certification/.
Teaching Certificate endorsed Teaching and Learning Assistant
If you hold this certificate, you are restricted to working as a Teaching and Learning Assistant only. The certificate is issued at level II for salary classification purposes.
- Minimum Requirements for Teaching and Learning Assistant Certification
- How to Apply for a Teaching Certificate endorsed Teaching and Learning Assistant
- Must I be a Resident of Newfoundland and Labrador?
- Classification for Salary Purposes
Minimum Requirements for Teaching and Learning Assistant Certification
Complete university credited studies of not less than 20 courses (60 credit hours) in length at Memorial University or another approved university.
Complete a 2-year Early Childhood Education diploma with a minimum level 2 ECE certification recognized by AECENL. The Teacher Certification Committee approves studies accepted for certification purposes and may recognize additional areas of study.
How to Apply for a Teaching Certificate endorsed Teaching and Learning Assistant
You must send the following documents to Teacher Certification as part of your application:
- A completed Application form (66 KB).
- A photocopy of your Canadian birth certificate. For applicants born outside of Canada, provide evidence of Canadian citizenship, a permanent resident card, or a work permit. For applicants that have changed their name, we will require photocopies of proof of name change. E.g., a marriage certificate.
- The original copy of your completed Confidential Disclosure and Criminal Record Check form (181 KB).
- An original Canadian Criminal Record and Vulnerable Sector Check, dated within 6 months of application.
- Official Statement of Professional Standing from all provinces, territories, states or countries if you hold/held a Teaching and Learning Assistant certificate (or other similar certificate issued by another regulator) stating that you are in good standing. These statements must be sent directly from the issuing authority to our office.
- Official transcripts, from institutions where you completed studies, mailed directly from the institution(s) to our office.
- Official statements of teaching service, on the forms provided by this office, must be completed by your previous employer(s) and returned directly to this office by that employer.
- A completed fee schedule and payment of the appropriate fee . (175 KB)
Must I be a Resident of Newfoundland and Labrador?
Canadian citizens holding similar certification in another Canadian jurisdiction may apply to receive a Teaching Certificate endorsed Teaching and Learning Assistant in Newfoundland and Labrador. Residency is not required. Applicants who are not Canadian citizens must submit proof of a valid work permit for Canada and a valid Social Insurance Number.
Classification for Salaries
Teaching Certificates endorsed Teaching and Learning Assistant receive a level II certificate. All other accepted Teaching Certificates are recognized at a level II for salary purposes when hired as a Teaching and Learning Assistant.
There is no central employment agency for teachers in Newfoundland and Labrador. You are advised to contact the school district offices for information regarding employment opportunities. Contact information for school districts is available here https://www.gov.nl.ca/eecd/k12/schoolsdistricts/districts
If you have any further questions regarding teacher certification in Newfoundland and Labrador, please contact:
Registrar of Teacher Certification
3rd Floor, West Block
Adobe® Acrobat® Reader software can be used for viewing PDF documents. Download Acrobat® Reader for free .