Newfoundland and Labrador is a highly attractive exploration destination and a globally competitive mining jurisdiction, with world-class deposits of iron, nickel-copper-cobalt and zinc-lead-copper, and highly prospective geology in Archean, Proterozoic and Paleozoic orogens.
We encourage investors seeking new mineral exploration and development opportunities to access the summaries below and follow additional links to learn more. Detailed information and services are provided by the Geological Survey of Newfoundland and Labrador, and the Mineral Lands and Mineral Development divisions of the Mines Branch.
The links below lead to information about our mineral potential and investment opportunities, as well as the many ways in which we attempt to mitigate your mineral investment risks: our geoscience information, our land tenure system, our competitive industry assistance programs and other regulatory issues under the jurisdiction of the Mines Branch. These and other materials and resources (including technical reports and maps, an interactive resource atlas, databases, and real-time mineral tenure information) are available on-line and via ‘traditional’ over-the-counter services to the mining and mineral exploration industry.
Note: all links below are PDFs and will open in a new window.
Newfoundland and Labrador: A Hot Exploration Destination
- Newfoundland and Labrador: Resource Rich – Investment Ready (2017) (770 KB)
- Newfoundland and Labrador: Resource Rich – Investment Ready – Iron Ore and Fluorspar (2017) (764 KB)
- Newfoundland and Labrador Iron Ore: World Class Resources and Opportunities (2015) (3 MB)
- Mining in Newfoundland and Labrador: Overview (2019) (1 MB)
- Exploration and Development Highlights (2019) (1.96 MB)
- Mines and Exploration Properties Map (2020) (2.21 MB)
- Mining Operations, Projects in Development and Advanced Exploration (2020) (10.7 MB)
NL in the News: Articles in Industry Publications
- Detailed Maps: Geoscience data helps miners find their next projects (1 MB) – from Canadian Mining Journal: May 2015
- From the East: Mineral Industry takes long-term approach (2 MB) – from Canadian Mining Journal: January 2015
- The Island of Newfoundland: An emerging gold district on Canada’s east coast (2 MB) – from Canadian Mining Journal: January 2014
- Newfoundland and Labrador: Posting Growth through the Gloom (2 MB) – from Engineering & Mining Journal: November, 2013
- Labrador: An emerging Uranium district in Canada (157 KB) – from The Mining Journal – Uranium supplement: April 2012
Posters and Brochures
Posters, flyers and brochures regarding the main mineral commodities and the mineral sector of the Province are available here
Investment Opportunities / Advanced Mineral Exploration Projects
Project Information Sheets (organized by commodity) on advanced mineral exploration projects are available here.
The Geological Survey’s Matty Mitchell Prospectors Resource Room produces online information on mineral properties that are available for option and maintains a commodity and property poster series. Information packages on individual properties are available here. Further data are available upon request from email@example.com
Asian Minerals Investment Attraction Initiatives
Information on Asian related mineral investment attraction activities is available here.
Our web portal to on-line data, including interactive maps of geology, geophysics, geochemistry, mineral occurrences, mineral land tenure and much more.
Search Our Industry Geodata Collection
Old data routinely yield new targets. We encourage you to visit our new GeoFiles to avail of information and ideas in more than 10,000 digital mineral-exploration assessment reports included in our larger repository of geoscience documents pertinent to the Province. These private sector Assessment Reports are submitted to the Department of Natural Resources as a requirement of the Minerals Act. Reports are kept confidential for a 3-year period or until the mineral rights are surrendered.
A second source of industry data is our collection of historic exploration files donated by companies to the Department. This collection includes non-confidential technical material informally known to current users as “p-files”. This material is currently housed at the Geological Survey, mainly in hard copy format.
Acquire Mineral Rights
Real-time, online claim staking, 24-7. Registration forms are available here. (85 KB)
Information on recent claim staking activity:
Regulations and Services for the Mineral Industry
Financial Incentive Program for Mineral Exploration
Newfoundland and Labrador offers a variety of financial incentive programs to attract investment, encourage exploration and help mitigate risk.