The Provincial Government today released application guides for two new business immigration categories under the Newfoundland and Labrador Provincial Nominee Program (NLPNP), International Graduate Entrepreneur and International Entrepreneur.
The International Graduate Entrepreneur category is open to graduates of Memorial University and College of the North Atlantic who wish to create or co-own and manage a business in the province. The Expression of Interest process for individuals interested in being considered for this category will open on January 16, 2019, at 10:00 a.m. NT.
The International Entrepreneur category is open to prospective immigrants around the world who wish to settle in the province and be engaged in the daily operation of a business they create, join, or take over. Expressions of Interest for individuals interested in being considered for this category will be accepted on January 16, 2019 between 10:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. NT. Expression of Interest intake from International Entrepreneur applicants will be opened periodically.
For more information or to submit an expression of interest, please visit:
Eligibility requirements for both categories can also be found in the backgrounder below.
Since 2017, the number of individuals supported toward permanent residency by the Provincial Government has increased by over 25 per cent.
This initiative delivers on commitments in The Way Forward to strengthen the province’s economic foundation and deliver better services and better outcomes for residents. The Way Forward outlines all actions the Provincial Government is taking to achieve a strong, diversified province with a high standard of living, and can be viewed at thewayforward.gov.nl.ca.
“These new categories make it easier for even more newcomers to establish businesses, create jobs, and fully participate in the social and economic life of the province. Newfoundland and Labrador has opportunities for international graduate entrepreneurs, and prospective immigrant entrepreneurs from around the world who are looking for a welcoming business environment, supportive communities, and a place where they can build a brighter future.”
Honourable Bernard Davis
Minister of Advanced Education, Skills and Labour
– 30 –
Advanced Education, Skills and Labour
Eligibility Requirements for New Categories under Newfoundland and Labrador Provincial Nominee Program (NLPNP)
- International Graduate Entrepreneur
- Graduated or completed a program of at least two years in length from a public post-secondary institution, as per Federal Government requirements.
- Canadian Language Benchmark 7 level of English or French in speaking, listening, reading, and writing.
- No minimum investment is required, however, an applicant must have at least one year’s experience in actively managing and owning a business in which they hold a minimum one-third ownership in Newfoundland and Labrador prior to seeking provincial nomination.
- International Entrepreneur
- 21 to 59 years of age.
- Canadian Language Benchmark 5 level of English or French in speaking, listening, reading, and writing.
- $600,000 in unencumbered net business and personal assets that could readily be transferred to Newfoundland and Labrador.
- $200,000 ready to invest in a new or existing business in the province.
- At least two years’ experience actively managing and owning a business, or more than five years’ experience in a senior business management role.
Candidates in both categories will be required to have at least one year’s experience owning and actively operating their business in Newfoundland and Labrador prior to seeking a provincial nomination.
International graduate entrepreneurs with existing businesses will be eligible for nomination, pending business viability.
Both international graduate entrepreneurs and international entrepreneurs will be required to submit an Expression of Interest to the Office of Immigration and Multiculturalism.
The Expression of Interest intake for International Graduate Entrepreneurs will begin on January 16, 2019, at 10:00 am. NT. Expression of Interest intake from International Graduate Entrepreneur applicants will be ongoing.
The Expression of Interest intake for International Entrepreneurs will take place on January 16, 2019, from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. NT. Expression of Interest intake from International Entrepreneur applicants will be opened periodically.