The Provincial Government and the Eastern Regional Service Board (ERSB) have agreed on an approach to waste collection services on un-serviced roads in unincorporated areas.
Over the past number of months, the board and the department have been working closely on a plan to implement additional changes to the board’s service delivery policy for waste collection, in particular to address concerns with the service delivery model for unincorporated areas.
Under the new approach, a number of un-serviced roads in unincorporated areas will no longer receive services as of December 31, 2019. The list of roads identified is contained in the backgrounder below.
The board will offer residents on these un-serviced roads in unincorporated areas the opportunity to opt-in to the service on an area-by-area basis. If 70 per cent or more of the identified properties in the area indicate they want to receive services, the board will reinstate services for all properties in the area and all properties will be expected to pay for the services.
In the coming days, the ERSB will be reaching out to advise those in the areas listed in the backgrounder of the approach and provide an opportunity for property owners to indicate whether they would prefer to have ERSB administer services in their area. If additional un-serviced roads in unincorporated areas are identified, the board will review them with the department to determine whether they should remain in service.
The ESRB will continue to provide services for an annual fee to unincorporated areas that are serviced by a level of government. In addition to weekly curbside waste collection, the annual fee also provides access to bi-weekly recyclable collection, two or more bulk waste pickups per year, and household hazardous waste disposal events throughout the region.
“We are pleased to have come to an agreement with the board on this issue that has been concerning to people with properties on un-serviced roads in unincorporated communities. The regional service boards plays an integral role in implementing the Provincial Waste Management Strategy, and we look forward to continuing to work with them on the important issues around waste management.”
Honourable Derrick Bragg
Minister of Municipal Affairs and Environment
“The Eastern Regional Service Board is pleased to have finally reached a resolution to this issue, and we look forward to continuing to implement government’s waste management strategy in a fair and equitable manner for all stakeholders.”
Eastern Regional Service Board
Provincial Waste Management Strategy
– 30 –
Municipal Affairs and Environment
Eastern Regional Service Board
List of Un-serviced Roads in Unincorporated Areas that Will No Longer Receive Waste Management Services as of December 31, 2019
Waste management services will cease in the following un-serviced roads in unincorporated areas on December 31, 2019:
- Brigus Junction and all side roads
- Cape Pond Road and all side roads
- English Hill Road including Old Highway (Carbonear area)
- Glen’s Cove
- Goulds Big Pond and Old Man’s Pond and all side roads
- Goulds Pond and all side roads
- Hell Hill Pond and all side roads
- Horse Chops and all side roads
- Lamanche and all side roads
- Line Road and Gunner’s Road and all side roads (Carbonear area)
- Mahers and all side roads
- Middle Gull Pond and all side roads
- Mobile First Pond and all side roads
- Ocean Pond, Hodgewater Pond and Leahy’s Road and all side roads
- Old Prison Camp Road and all side roads (off Salmonier Line)
- Peak Pond and Reid’s Pond and all side roads
- Placentia Junction and all side roads
- All side roads off Salmonier Line (excluding the LSD of Deer Park/Vineland Road):
- Burry Heights Road (and all side roads)
- Way Points Wilderness Road
- Little Bull Pond Road (and all side roads)
- Bermuda Lake Road
- Gilles Road
- Fern Hill Lane
- George Street West
- Fraser’s Loop
- Governor’s Park Road (and all side roads)
- The Wild’s Road (and all side roads)
- Penny Lane
- Hootersville Estate Road
- Mill Lane
- Pioneer Place
- Tobin’s Pond Road
- Belbin’s Mill Pond Road (and all side roads)
- Jimmy’s Run (and all side roads)
- Hender’s Brook Road
- Unmarked Road off Salmonier Line (located on right hand side located 0.3 km before Deer Park Road and 5.8 km from Vineland Road)
- Spread Eagle and all side roads
- Witless Bay Line including Old Witless Bay Line and all side roads
Some areas on this list may choose to have their services reinstated, provided 70 percent of those in their area are in favour
If additional un-serviced roads in unincorporated areas are identified, the Eastern Regional Service Board will review them with the Department Municipal Affairs and Environment to determine whether they should remain in service.