The Provincial Government congratulates the winners and nominees from the 28th annual MusicNL Awards held last night at the Resource Centre for the Arts in St. John’s.
The Honourable Bernard Davis, Minister of Tourism, Culture, Industry and Innovation, presented the prestigious Album of the Year award to Jenina MacGillivray for ‘Marion’. Singer/ songwriter Nick Earle won three awards, including Male Artist of the Year, Rising Star of the Year, and Rock Artist of the Year.
Other winners from the 28th MusicNL Awards include:
- Alternative Artist of the Year – Youngtree and The Blooms
- Celtic/Traditional Artist of the Year – Rosemary Lawton
- Country Artist of the Year – Carolina East
- Electronic Artist of the Year – Galaa
- Fan’s Choice/ Entertainer of the Year – Dion Todd
- Female Artist of the Year – Jenina MacGillivray
- Folk/Roots Artist of the Year – Rum Ragged
- Group of the Year – Quote the Raven
- Instrumental Artist/Group of the Year – Eastern Owl
- Jazz/Blues Artist of the Year – Andrea Koziol and Bill Brennan
- Pop Artist of the Year – It Could Be Franky
- Rap/Hip-Hop Artist of the Year – JYAY
- Songwriter of the Year – Peter Smith
- Video of the Year – Rum Ragged
Korona Brophy received the award for music educator of the year. A music education instructor at Memorial University, Ms. Brophy is also the choral director at several schools and founder of the world-renowned Celtic Fiddlers.
Gary Graham was posthumously awarded MusicNL’s lifetime achievement award. This award is given to the individual who has had a profound and lasting effect on the music industry of Newfoundland and Labrador.
The Department of Tourism, Culture, Industry and Innovation provides $350,000 annually to MusicNL to administer funding programs for musicians and to assist with the organization’s operations. MusicNL aims to increase awareness locally, nationally and internationally of provincially produced music as an art form and as a viable industry with significant impact on the economy.
“Congratulations to all the hardworking nominees and winners who received recognition from MusicNL. The talent that exists in this province is second to none, and I commend the team at MusicNL for providing an outlet for these artists to perform and have their work honoured. Despite some challenges this past year, the Provincial Government continues to support musicians throughout the province, through our funding to MusicNL, and are pleased to work with the association and support their dedicated effort into the future.”
Honourable Bernard Davis
Minister of Tourism, Culture, Industry and Innovation
– 30 –
Tourism, Culture, Industry and Innovation