The Motor Registration Division is responsible for the issuance of the Accessible Parking Permit.
To obtain a parking permit you must have the Accessible Parking Permit Application (66 KB) completed by a physician or nurse practitioner. The application is also available from any Motor Registration Office across the province.
Processing of an Accessible Parking Permit is available in person, by mail or fax at the following offices: Corner Brook, Grand Falls Windsor or Mount Pearl. For office locations, mailing addresses & fax numbers please visit our locations page at Motor Registration Office.
If your application is completed properly and meets all requirements, the permit can be issued immediately at the Motor Registration Office in Corner Brook, Grand Falls/Windsor and Mount Pearl. If you mail your application, please allow 2 weeks for processing and delivery. Faxed applications, please allow 1 week for processing and delivery. Note: Processing times are approximate and may change depending on the volume of requests received.
The parking permit allows eligible permit holders to park in specially designated parking spots. These parking spots are identified by the blue international wheelchair logo both on a sign and in the parking area.
Important notes for the permit holder:
- only 1 permit issued per person
- you are not required to have a driver’s licence or a vehicle to obtain a permit
- there is no fee associated with the permit
- permit can be used in any vehicle that the permit holder is a passenger in, but is not transferable and cannot be loaned to anyone for use. It is illegal to use a permit not issued to you.
- permit can be laminated
- permit must be displayed in the windshield of a vehicle occupying a accessible parking space. For proper identification the permit number and expiry date should be visible.
- permit can be valid from 6 months to 5 years as determined by the Division
- permit should be surrendered to the Division when it is no longer required by the holder or when requested to do so by department officials
- if you hold a drivers licence, the information submitted on your application may be forwarded to the Medical Section, for review of any impacts your condition may have on your ability to drive safely. This may result in a request for additional medical information for the purpose of accessing the medical condition on driving
The renewal of such a permit is the responsibility of the permit holder.
The holder of a temporary permit which was issued for 6 months will have to complete the Accessible Parking Permit Application (66 KB) to renew.
The holder of a permanent permit will have to complete an application for renewal form (22 KB). It is the responsibility of the permit holder to inform our office of any changes of information. ( Eg. Name, Address, Phone Number)
If you have any questions please contact Motor Registration Division at 709-729-2519 or toll free at 1-877-636-6867.
- News Release
- Motor Registration Division
- Guidelines for Accessible Parking Permit (903 KB)
- Buildings Accessibility Regulations
- Buildings Accessibility
Adobe® Acrobat® Reader software can be used for viewing PDF documents. Download Acrobat® Reader for free.