Identification Documentation


Identification documentation is required for the issuance of a learner’s permit, photo identification card or exchange of a non-Canadian driver’s licence.

In order to qualify for a learners permit, photo identification card or a drivers licence you must be a resident of this province.

Any person who is taking up residency in Newfoundland & Labrador, who originates from outside of Canada, and who is applying for a learner’s permit, driver’s licence or identification card must provide proof of their legal presence in Canada, with one primary proof of legal presence and one secondary document or two primary documents (one of which must be an acceptable document for proof of legal presence) as listed within each category below.

Any person who is a Canadian resident will need two pieces of identification, with at least one being an original primary document and the second an original secondary document as listed within each category below:

Proof of Legal Presence and Primary

  • Valid Foreign Passport with appropriate immigration documents
  • Permanent Resident Card or Immigration papers – Record of Landing
  • Study or Work Permit
  • Canadian Citizenship Card
  • Temporary Resident Permit
  • Secure Certificate of Indian Status Card (with photograph)
  • Valid Canadian Passport


  • Government issued Birth Certificate¹
  • Valid Canadian Passport
  • Canadian Armed Forces Identification Card
  • Municipal, Provincial or Federal Police Force Identification
  • Federal Firearms Identification Card
  • Photo Identification Card issued by the Motor Registration Division

¹ if the name on the birth certificate is not your current name, you will require another original of documents such as a marriage certificate which specifies your current name.


  • Baptismal Certificate (with church seal)
  • Marriage Certificate
  • Social Insurance Card
  • Credit Card
  • School Identification Card (photograph: Newfoundland and Labrador schools only)
  • Government Identification Card (Newfoundland and Labrador)
  • Photo Drivers Licence from another Canadian jurisdiction
  • MCP Card
  • Health Care Board Card (Newfoundland and Labrador only)
  • or other documentation satisfactory to the Registrar

You may produce two pieces of identification from the primary list but WE CANNOT ACCEPT TWO PIECES OF IDENTIFICATION FROM THE SECONDARY LIST.