If you change your name or address you must inform Motor Registration Division of these changes within 10 days.
Change of Name
If you have changed your name, you must visit a Motor Registration Division office to update your record. You will be required to provide documentation supporting this change.
- Government Issued Marriage Certificate
- Official name change document
- Birth Certificate
- Official Court document
*Must be original documents
Please Note: Once your name has been changed on the Motor Registration Division (MRD) system, a new driver’s licence/photo ID card (if applicable), and if applicable, vehicle registration document, will be mailed to you. You should receive this card within 10 business days.
Change of Address
If you need to change/update your address with MRD, you may do this by:
- Submitting an email request to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax your request to 709-292-4387. Please allow 3 business days for your address to be updated before proceeding with any on-line services.
This request must include:
- Your full name
- Driver’s Licence/Photo ID number
- Valid supporting documents
- Visiting in person at a Motor Registration Division office and providing valid photo ID and proof of your current address. Your address will be updated immediately at a counter service.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What will you accept as valid supporting documents if I change my address?
We accept the following documents as proof of your address:*
- Utility bills (ex. phone, internet/cable, electricity, etc.) * no older than 2 months
- Bank statements/void cheque (with address)
- Mortgage documents
- Personal Taxes (filed in the previous year)
- Property Tax Bill
- Residential Lease/rental agreement (must be completed and signed by landlord & tenant)
- Employment Insurance or Income Support Program documents
- Employment confirmation or pay stub
- Canada Child Benefit (CCB) documents
*Documents must contain your full name and address.
- What if I do not have any of these documents in my name?
If you require special assistance, please call 1-877-636-6867 or email email@example.com.
Please Note: Once your address has been changed on the Motor Registration Division (MRD) system, a new driver’s licence/photo ID card (if applicable), and if applicable, vehicle registration document, will be mailed to you. You should receive this card within 10 business days.