Photo Identification Card (ID Card)


Motor Registration Division is the agency responsible for issuing photo identification cards. The identification card is accepted for all purposes for which proof of identification is required under any act of this province, such as purchase of liquor, cigarettes, etc.

Contact: Motor Registration Division 1-877-636-6867 or

Driver’s licences and photo identification cards are now printed at a central location and mailed to clients using a central issuance system, instead of being printed on demand at Motor Registration Division offices. More information about the enhanced security features of your new driver’s licence or ID card is available here.

In order to qualify for a photo identification card, you must be a resident of this province.

Any person who is taking up residency in Newfoundland & Labrador, who originates from outside of Canada, and who is applying for an identification card must provide proof of their legal presence in Canada, with one primary proof of legal presence and one secondary document or two primary documents (one of which must be an acceptable document for proof of legal presence) as listed within each category below.

Any person who is a Canadian resident will need two pieces of identification, with at least one being an original primary document and the second an original secondary document as listed within each category below:

Proof of Legal Presence and Primary

  • Valid Foreign Passport with appropriate immigration documents
  • Permanent Resident Card or Immigration papers – Record of Landing
  • Study or Work Permit
  • Canadian Citizenship Card
  • Temporary Resident Permit
  • Secure Certificate of Indian Status Card (with photograph)
  • Valid Canadian Passport


  • Government issued Birth Certificate¹
  • Valid Canadian Passport
  • Canadian Armed Forces Identification Card
  • Municipal, Provincial or Federal Police Force Identification
  • Federal Firearms Identification Card
  • Photo Identification Card issued by the Motor Registration Division

¹ if the name on the birth certificate is not your current name, you will require another original of documents such as a marriage certificate which specifies your current name.


  • Baptismal Certificate (with church seal)
  • Marriage Certificate
  • Social Insurance Card
  • Credit Card
  • School Identification Card (photograph: Newfoundland and Labrador schools only)
  • Government Identification Card (Newfoundland and Labrador)
  • Photo Drivers Licence from another Canadian jurisdiction
  • MCP Card
  • Health Care Board Card (Newfoundland and Labrador only)
  • or other documentation satisfactory to the Registrar

You may produce two pieces of identification from the primary list but WE CANNOT ACCEPT TWO PIECES OF IDENTIFICATION FROM THE SECONDARY LIST.

If you are married and wish to have your married name on your photo id card, you must also have your marriage certificate with you. The ID card is valid for a 5 year period at a fee of $25.

Airlines and Photo ID

The airlines in Canada are asking for photo identification from passengers. Some Newfoundlanders and Labradorians are out of province and do not have such identification. At times, they are seeking assistance from Motor Registration Division to obtain photo identification. Here’s what to do:

Always check with the airlines to confirm they will accept the following.

When out of province, have a set of passport photos taken at any commercial location. Take the photos to a justice of the peace, notary public, commissioner of oaths or any other duly authorized person for certification. This will involve presentation of appropriate documents such as birth certificate, social insurance card, MCP identification, etc.