Fuel Tax


Requirement for a Fuel Tax Permit

A person who operates a motor vehicle is required to be registered under section 17.1 of the Gasoline Tax Act. Anyone whom is not registered as required by that section commits an offence under this Act. Therefore any motor vehicle operating in Newfoundland and Labrador must have one of the following criteria:

  1. Be registered with International Fuel Tax Association (IFTA)
  2. Buy a fuel tax permit which costs $150.00 per trip.

^ Top of Page


IFTA Qualified Motor Vehicle

A motor vehicle used, designed, or maintained for transportation of persons or property and having two axles and a gross vehicle weight or registered gross vehicle weight exceeding 26,000 pounds or 11,797 kilograms; having three or more axles regardless of weight; or is used in combination, when the weight of such combination exceeds 26,000 pounds or 11,797 kilograms gross vehicle or registered gross vehicle weight.

Qualified Motor Vehicle

Does not include recreational vehicles.

For further information regarding vehicles registered in Newfoundland and Labrador contact Motor Registration at:

Tel: 1-877-636-6867

For information on the International Fuel Tax Association :

Tel: (709) 729-1786
Fax: (709) 729-2856

^ Top of Page

Single Trip Fuel Tax Permit Application

If you are not a member of IFTA then check the Fuel Tax box and fill in your information. There are payment instructions on the reverse side of the application.

^ Top of Page