A Food Establishment Licence may be issued to any premises that is involved with the sale, production, manufacturing, preparation, storage and/or distribution of food subject to compliance with all pertinent legislation. This licence cannot be transferred.
SkillsPass NL Training
- What to Expect When We’re Inspecting: This course will explain the food premises inspection process and criterion. This course is intended for owners and managers of licensed food premises.
- Getting off the Ground: This course will help people who are in the process of opening a new food premises, and need to understand what is required to get a licence to operate a food premises.
- Food Safety Basics: Safe food handling is important for all food handlers. The safe food handling and hygiene practice skills taught through this course cover topics such as foodborne illnesses, food allergies and sensitivities, defrosting food and kitchen cleanliness.
- Not-for-Profit and Volunteer-Run Events: When Not-for-Profit organizations prepare or sell food for events, it is important that good hygiene and food-handling practices are followed to ensure public safety. This program provides clear guidance and is intended for employees or volunteers of Not-for-Profit organizations preparing meals for the public.
- Home-Based Food Preparation Businesses: Preparing food at home for the public requires a clear understanding of food hygiene standards, sanitation, construction of premises and equipment usage. This program is intended for people planning to become a registered home-based food services business.
- Temporary Food Premises: This program will help you understand the Service NL guidelines related to food safety at temporary events and includes information on booth construction, food preparation, hand washing, food hygiene and more. This course is intended for people who are a current food vendor or thinking of becoming a vendor at a temporary event, or looking to plan a temporary event
SkillsPass NL training: http://servicenl.myskillspass.io
- Completed Food and/or Tobacco Licence Application (171 KB)
- Floor plan of the proposed premises indicating locations of equipment, rooms and sanitary facilities.
- Municipal approval, if applicable.
- Fee (see below).
|Food and Drug Act||Food Premises Regulations|
|Smoke-Free Environment Act||Smoke-free Environment Regulations|
Applications and Publications
- Application for Food and/or Tobacco Licence (171 KB)
- Standard Health Guidelines for Food Vending Machines (45 KB)
- Standard Health Guidelines for Temporary Food Establishments (95 KB)
- Standard Health Guidelines for Not For Profit Organizations (76 KB)
- Standard Health Guidelines for Home Based Food Preparation Industry (64 KB)
- Standard Health Guidelines for Mobile Food Preparation Premises (709 KB)
- Food Safety Tips for Using Food Thermometers (Canadian Food Inspection Agency Fact Sheet)
- Food Safety Tips for Barbecuing (Canadian Food Inspection Agency Fact Sheet)
- Food Safety Is Everyone’s Responsibility (404 KB)
- Food Safety at Home (434 KB)
- Fight Bac Focus On …Chill (300 KB)
- Fight Bac Focus On …Clean (696 KB)
- Fight Bac Focus On …Cook (347 KB)
- Fight Bac Focus On …Separate (384 KB)
- Food Safety Facts For Holidays (Canadian Food Inspection Agency)
- Safe Food Storage (Canadian Food Inspection Agency Fact Sheet)
- Home Based Food Preparation Industry Brochure (330 KB)
- Not-For-Profit Organizations Brochure (359 KB)
- Temporary Food Establishments Brochure (296 KB)
- Vending Machines Brochure (229 KB)
- Bacillus Cereus Food Intoxication (64 KB)
- Campylobacter Foodborne Illness (77 KB)
- Clostridium Perfringens Food Intoxication (84 KB)
- Salmonellosis – Foodborne Illness (73 KB)
- Hamburger Disease (76 KB)
- Listeriosis (119 KB)
Refer to the Government Service Centre Division’s locations page for additional contact information.
Adobe® Acrobat® Reader software can be used for viewing PDF documents. Download Acrobat® Reader for free.