Under the Tobacco Control Act convenience store owners are required to obtain a Tobacco Licence to sell tobacco and tobacco related products. Licence holders must also display signage indicating that only persons 19 years of age or older are permitted to purchase tobacco products. The legislation also requires that “No Smoking” signs be posted in retail areas.
- Completed Application for Food and/or Tobacco Licence (171 KB)
- Floor plan of the proposed premises indicating locations of equipment, rooms and sanitary facilities.
- Municipal approval, if applicable.
|Smoke-Free Environment Act||Smoke-free Environment Regulations|
|Tobacco Act (Federal)||Tobacco and Vapour Products Control Regulations|
|Tobacco and Vaping Products Act (Federal)|
No fee required.
Applications and Publications
SkillsPass NL Training
- Responsible Tobacco and Vapour Products Retailing (Employer Edition): An online course for owners/managers of tobacco and vapour product retailing establishments to ensure they understand the laws and regulations pertaining to selling tobacco and vapour products.
- Responsible Tobacco and Vapour Products Retailing (Employee Edition): An online course for employees of tobacco and vapour product retailing establishments to ensure they understand their roles and responsibilities when selling tobacco and vapour products.
SkillsPass NL training: http://servicenl.myskillspass.io
Refer to the Government Service Centre Division’s locations page for additional contact information.
Adobe® Acrobat® Reader software can be used for viewing PDF documents. Download Acrobat® Reader for free.