New Highway Sign

Approval is required to erect a sign along any highway maintained by the Department of Transportation and Works, or along that portion of any intersecting municipal and private roads that falls within the control zone as defined by the regulations. Approval is not required to erect a sign on the property of an active business provided that the information on the sign relates to an activity conducted on the property on which the sign is located. The initial development permit is valid for one year from the date of issue and can be renewed for a three year period providing the sign complies with all the conditions of the original permit.


  1. Completed application (257 KB)
  2. Two copies of sketch of proposed sign.
  3. Two copies of location plan (if required).


Statutes Regulations
Urban and Rural Planning Act, 2000 Highway Sign Regulations, 1999


No fee required.

Applications and Publications

Printed copies of applications and publications are available at the Government Service Centre Division’s regional and area offices.


Refer to the Government Service Centre Division’s locations page for additional contact information.

Adobe® Acrobat® Reader software can be used for viewing PDF documents. Download Acrobat® Reader for free.