The Registry of Deeds has the largest database of information of all the registries within the Commercial Registrations Division. The records maintained relate to real estate in the Province of Newfoundland and Labrador dating back to the early 1800’s. Registry records from 1825 to 1981 can only be searched at the Registry’s office at 59 Elizabeth Avenue, St. John’s through a paper-based index and bound volumes manual system. Registry records from 1982 to present can be searched electronically through our Companies and Deeds Online (CADO) system either at the Registry’s office or online at https://cado.eservices.gov.nl.ca. Please note that online search fees applies.
Note: for Crown Land information please contact the Crown Lands Division, Department of Fisheries and Land Resources – https://www.flr.gov.nl.ca/lands/index.html
Legislation and Regulations
- The Registry of Deeds is governed by the Registration of Deeds Act and the Conveyancing Act.
- The Registry of Mechanics’ Liens is governed by the Mechanics’ Liens Act (Regulations).
- The Registry of Condominiums is governed by the Condominium Act (Regulations).
Forms are available at the Registry or may be downloaded for your convenience. Links to specific forms are found throughout this web site, or you may browse our entire list.
Hours of Operation
Hours of operation for the Registry of Deeds are as follows:
- Summer hours: 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Winter hours: 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.