Effective August 1, 2019 veterans can avail of an additional 10% discount for passenger vehicle registration.
Veterans Who Already Have a Veteran Licence Plate
To apply for the veterans discount. Send an email to email@example.com. Include your name, driver’s licence number and vehicle plate number. You may also visit a Motor Registration Office or call us toll free at 1-877-636-6867.
Veterans Who Do Not Have a Veteran Licence Plate
For the purpose of this discount a Veteran is any person who has honourably:
- served in the Armed Forces of Canada, the Commonwealth or its wartime allies, for a minimum of three years (may still be serving); or
- served in the Merchant Navy or Ferry Command during wartime; or
- served as a regular member of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police; or
- served in a theatre of war with the Armed Forces of Canada, the Commonwealth or its wartime allies; or
- performed NATO service or Peacekeeping mission(s) with the Armed Forces of Canada; or
- serves as a Peace Officer in a Special Duty Area, or on a special duty operation; and
- has provided verification that is acceptable to the registrar
To apply for the veterans discount you must submit acceptable documentation that verifies your eligibility to Motor Vehicle Registration. Acceptable documentation includes:
- Copy of NDI75 card
- Certificate of Service
- Military Personnel Record Resume (MPRR)
- RCMP Record of Service Card
- Any other official document that verifies your service
Veterans can visit https://www.canada.ca/en/department-national-defence/services/contact-us/military-records.html for information regarding requesting their service records.
Veteran Licence Plate Application
The Motor Registration Division of Service NL and the Provincial Command of the Royal Canadian Legion in Newfoundland and Labrador have worked together to implement a veteran licence plate program. This program recognizes the valuable contribution of veterans who have put their lives in jeopardy for the betterment of society.
There are established criteria for eligibility to receive a veteran’s licence plate. Persons who wish to avail of this program are required to contact the Royal Canadian Legion who administers the application process. Once forms are approved by the Royal Canadian Legion (680 KB), applicants can receive a veteran’s plate from local Motor Registration offices across the province.
There is no initial fee for the plate however; the registration renewal fee for a veteran plate will be the standard registration fee for passenger vehicles , motorcycles and commercial vehicles less than 4500 kg.
For the purpose of this application a Veteran means any person who is serving or has honourably served:
– in the Canadian Armed Forces, the Commonwealth or its wartime allies; or
– as a regular member of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police; or
– as a Peace Officer in a Special Duty Area, or on a special duty operation; or
– who has served in the Merchant Navy or Ferry Command during wartime.
Obtaining a veteran licence plate
Veteran plates will only be issued for use on passenger vehicles, motorcycles and commercial vehicles less than 4500 kg. To receive a Veteran plate this application form (71 KB) must be certified and submitted, with the required registration application and fee to your local Motor Registration Office. Please note that if you currently hold a veteran plate for a passenger vehicle or a commercial vehicle you will not have to complete another application to receive a veteran plate for your motorcycle.
Your regular “A”, “H” “J” “C” or “M” plate must be removed from the vehicle and retained by you (in the event the vehicle or the motorcycle is sold) and the veteran plate attached to the rear of the vehicle or the motorcycle.
To change a veteran plate from a previously owned vehicle
Purchasing a new/used vehicle or motorcycle from an Automobile Dealer
When the vehicle or the motorcycle with the veteran plate attached is sold or traded, the veteran plate is to be removed and the regular plate re-attached. The dealer will register your new vehicle or motorcycle as per the normal registration process.
Purchasing a used vehicle privately
When the vehicle or the motorcycle with the veteran plate attached is sold or traded, the veteran plate is to be removed and the regular plate re-attached. The vehicle or motorcycle purchased will have to be transferred to your name as per the regular transfer process.
If You Have Any Questions:
Adobe® Acrobat® Reader software can be used for viewing PDF documents. Download Acrobat® Reader for free.