Self-Employment Assistance is an employment program that provides financial and entrepreneurial assistance to eligible individuals to help them create jobs for themselves by starting a business. There are two elements to the program, one for organizations acting as coordinators for the program and one for individuals seeking assistance.
Information for Individuals
Am I Eligible?
You are eligible if you are an unemployed individual:
- Who has a current EI claim; or
- Who is an unemployed person for whom a benefit period is established or whose benefit period has ended within the previous 60 months.
Other criteria may apply.
How do I Apply?
- You will need to complete the application form Self-Employment Assistance Employment Benefit Participant Application and submit it to your local Advanced Education, Skills and Labour office.
- The date your completed application is received by the Department of Advanced Education, Skills and Labour is the date when you are considered to have requested assistance.
- This date is used to determine whether you qualify as an “insured participant” within the timeframes outlined above.
- If you are currently receiving Employment Insurance benefits, you may continue to receive these benefits until the end of your benefit period, after which you may be eligible to receive a living allowance to the end of your Self-Employment Assistance agreement.
- If you are not in receipt of Employment Insurance benefits, you may be eligible to receive financial assistance for living expenses.
- Assistance may be provided in exceptional circumstances to cover all or part of the following costs related to participation (e.g., dependent care, disability needs, transportation and accommodation).
- The maximum duration of an agreement with a participant is 52 weeks, and 78 weeks for persons with a disability.
Information for Organizations/Sponsors
Is my Organization Eligible?
Businesses, organizations, municipalities, band/tribal councils, public health and educational institutions are eligible to receive funding as Self-Employment Assistance Coordinators.
How do I Apply?
On-line Application: Employers must register in the Department of Advanced Education, Skills and Labour’ LaMPSS payment system to apply on-line. Once registration is complete, a password and user ID will be provided. To register, please press Register on LaMPSS system.
Program Guidelines have been developed in order to assist employers applying on-line. Program Guidelines can be accessed under Forms below.
Once registered on the LaMPSS system, employers may apply directly on-line and/or update information using its self-serve function and the provided user password and ID. To apply on-line using the self-serve component of LaMPSS, please link to the following website which contains LaMPSS User Guidelines, System Requirements and the Login LaMPSS Employer Self-Serve.
Note: all links below are PDFs and will open in a new window.
- Program Guidelines
- Budget Supporting Details
- Forecast of Cash Flow
- Activity Report
- Financial Report
General enquiries: 1-800-563-6600
Adobe® Acrobat® Reader software can be used for viewing PDF documents. Download Acrobat® Reader for free.