Non-medical cannabis was legalized in Canada on October 17, 2018.
To prepare for the legalization of non-medical cannabis, the Provincial Government has implemented provincial laws and regulations that have been developed with the best interests of Newfoundlanders and Labradorians in mind. The goals for cannabis legalization in this province are:
- Protecting public health by providing access to a safe supply of legal cannabis and encouraging low-risk use by those adults who choose to use it, while keeping it out of the hands of children
- Promoting safety on our roads, in public places and in our workplaces
- Reducing the burden on our criminal justice system
- Keeping profits from the sale of cannabis out of the hands of criminals
- Supporting new business opportunities
Newfoundlanders and Labradorians have cannabis questions, and this site provides the relevant answers. Please come back often as information is updated regularly.