There are 4 types of legal name changes available:
- Adult Surname (with or without given name)
- Adult Given Name (only)
- Child Surname (with or without given name)
- Child Given Name (only)
To legally change your own name, you must be 16 years of age or older.
Download Application for Change of Name of an Adult here.
If you are under 16 years of age, a parent or legal guardian must complete the process.
Download the Application for Change of Name of a Child here.
All surname changes must be published in the Newfoundland gazette. Exceptions are as follows:
- When the applicant would be unduly prejudiced or embarrassed by the publication (Please provide details in sealed envelope)
- The change of surname applied for is of a minor character
- The applicant has been commonly known under the surname applied for (Please provide these pieces of documentation)
- Name Change $100.00
- New Birth Certificate $35.00, or $30.00 online
Complete list of fees.
The following documents are required:
- Birth certificate in the old name (a baptism certificate is acceptable if you were born in Newfoundland and Labrador and do not possess a birth certificate)
- Proper applications from each name change package as required.
In order to legally change your name in Newfoundland and Labrador, you must ordinarily be a resident of Newfoundland for at least 3 months. If otherwise, you must apply in your province of residence.
Applications are available at Vital Statistics.
For more information, call (709) 729-3308.