The Motor Registration Division of Service NL and the Fire and Emergency Services – Newfoundland and Labrador have worked together to implement a Fire Fighter Licence plate program.
There are established criteria for eligibility to receive a fire fighter licence plate. Persons who wish to avail of this program are required to contact the Fire and Emergency Services Fire Fighter Licence Plate Contact Information who administer the application process. Once forms are approved by Fire and Emergency Services applicants can receive a fire fighter plate from local across the province.
There is no initial fee for the plate however; the registration renewal fee for a fire fighter plate will be the standard registration fee for passenger vehicles and commercial vehicles less than 4500 kg. Fire fighter plates will only be issued for use on passenger vehicles and commercial vehicles less than 4500 kg.
Obtaining a fire fighter licence plate
Your regular “A”, “H” “J” or “C” plate must be removed from the vehicle and the fire fighter plate attached to the rear of the vehicle. When the vehicle is sold, the fire fighter plate is removed and the regular plate re-attached. The fire fighter plate can then be registered to your next vehicle.
To change a fire fighter plate from a previously owned vehicle
Purchasing a new/used vehicle from an Automobile Dealer
When the vehicle with the fire fighter plate attached is sold or traded, the fire fighter plate is to be removed and the regular plate re-attached. The dealer will register your new vehicle as per the normal registration process.
Purchasing a used vehicle privately
When the vehicle with the fire fighter plate attached is sold or traded, the fire fighter plate is to be removed and the regular plate re-attached. The vehicle purchased will have to be transferred to your name as per the regular transfer process.
Terms and Conditions
- a firefighter is a person actively serving in a municipal/local service district fire department in the Province of Newfoundland and Labrador at the time of this application.
- A firefighter shall have a minimum of three (3) years of continuous service as a firefighter with one or more municipalities/local service districts in the Province. Where service is with more than one (1) municipality/local service district, please provide a letter from the other municipality/local service district supporting service.
- The plate MUST be displayed on the rear of the vehicle.
- A firefighter is eligible for one (1) firefighter plate only.
- Applicant signature to this application indicates their agreement to the terms and conditions for acquiring and using the plate.
If you have any questions
Adobe® Acrobat® Reader software can be used for viewing PDF documents. Download Acrobat® Reader for free.