Insurance Requirements


Proof of Insurance

You will require proof of insurance when you renew your vehicle registration or transfer a vehicle into your name.

  • The insurance policy must be in the name of the person(s) applying for registration
  • A valid insurance card for Canada including government insurance from British Columbia, Manitoba and Saskatchewan is acceptable


An insurance certificate is not required when:

  • the vehicle registration is expired and you do not wish to re-licence; or
  • the vehicle you are licensing is a trailer.

If the vehicle registration is valid, but you do not have insurance, plates must be returned to the Division and the vehicle registration is inactivated for proof of insurance. Plates are held until you return with proof of insurance. The vehicle registration is then activated and plates returned.