The Access to Information and Protection of Privacy Act, 2015
The purpose of the Access to Information and Protection of Privacy Act, 2015 (the Act) is to provide the public with the right of access to records and to protect the privacy of individuals whose personal information is in the custody or control of a public body. Information obtained through an access request can take many forms, including paper records, electronic records (e.g. emails, etc.), photographs, etc.
How to Submit an Access to Information Request
The Act is not meant to replace existing means of obtaining information. Before submitting a request, we recommend you contact the public body responsible for the information you are seeking. Staff can help determine what records exist or how best to describe them in your access request, if one is required. If you are unsure of where to submit your request:
- Review the public body’s website
- Contact the ATIPP Office by phone at (709) 729-7072 or (877) 895-8891, or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
When Making an Access to Information Request
When submitting an access request, the request must be made in writing. A copy of the request form can be found below, and is also available at public body offices. The form can be filled out manually or electronically. Once completed it must be mailed, emailed, faxed or delivered to the ATIPP Coordinator of the public body (Contact ATIPP Coordinators). If you are submitting a request to a government department, you can also submit your request online:
- Online Access Request (for submitting Government Department requests only)
- Access to Information Request Form (for all Public Bodies) (203 KB)
- Access to Information Request Form (for all Public Bodies) (174 KB)
Please keep the following in mind when making a request:
- Make sure you provide clear and detailed information on the access request form to allow the public body to identify the records you are seeking. This would include timeframes for the request and types of records you are seeking.
Include your name, address, daytime telephone number and email address if you have them. If you are emailing a request to a public body, please ensure the following:
- You write “ATIPP Request” in the subject line of your email, and
- You do not include the wording of you request in the email (only include it in the attached ATIPP request form).