The ATIPP Act is not meant to replace existing means of obtaining information. Before you make a request using the legislation, you may wish to try other, informal means to obtain the records you are seeking. Contact the public body which you believe has the records. Often, you can get the information you want in this informal way, without using the legislation.
If you wish to make an ATIPP request, the request must be made in writing. An Access Request Form is available in the offices of any public body or you can download it here in PDF format. The PDF form can be filled out electronically. Once completed it must be mailed, emailed, faxed or delivered to the public body. Please note that some browsers do not support fillable PDFs, so you must first download the Access Request form and then open it using a compatible PDF viewer (see instructions below).
Whether you choose to make your request informally or under the ATIPP Act by submitting a written access request, it is recommended that you make contact with the public body responsible for the information you are requesting. Staff can help you determine what records exist that answer your question and how to best describe them in your access request. To find the contact information for the public body you intend to submit your request click on Contact ATIPP Coordinators.
Make sure you provide enough information on the access request form to allow the public body to identify the records you are seeking. Include your name, address and daytime telephone number, as well as fax number and email address if you have them.
- NEW: Online Access Request (for Government Departments only)
- Access to Information Request Form (for all Public Bodies) (203 KB)
- Access to Information Request Form (for all Public Bodies) (174 KB)
If you are emailing a request to a public body, please ensure the following:
- You write “ATIPP Request” in the subject line of your email, and
- You do not include the wording of you request in the email (only include it in the attached ATIPP request form).
Please note: If you are having trouble filling out/saving/printing the Access Request Form, please follow the steps below which explain how to save the file to your computer and complete it using Adobe Reader. We recommend that you use Adobe Reader to complete the form. Using Adobe Reader will ensure that the information you enter on the form is saved in the correct format.
- Right-click on the link to the Access Request Form and select “Save target as” or “Save link as” (wording may be different depending on the browser being used).
- Select a location on your computer to save the file.
- Open the file from the saved location using Acrobat® Reader. If you cannot open the file, or you require a newer version of Acrobat® Reader you can download it free from Download Acrobat® Reader for free.
- Fill out the form.
- Click the Save button on the form.
- Mail, email, fax or deliver this form to the Access and Privacy Coordinator of the public body most likely to have the records you are seeking.
Adobe® Acrobat® Reader software can be used for viewing PDF documents. Download Acrobat® Reader for free