Probation is a court imposed, community-based sentence designed for offenders who require supervision, control and counselling to develop their potential as law abiding members of the community.
Community Corrections is responsible for the following:
- Providing pre-sentence investigative services to assist the court in determining the most appropriate sentence in a specific case;
- Administering a spectrum of community-based sentencing alternatives through which the courts may satisfy a range of sentencing objectives, including:
- Probation Supervision which provides services, surveillance and control of offenders in the community subject to specific and enforceable court-imposed conditions;
- Community Service Order Programs in which offenders are ordered by the court via a probation order to perform a specified number of non-paid hours of work for a non-commercial community-based agency; and
- Compensation Enforcement or monetary payment by an offender for actual loss or damage to property as a result of an offence.
Community Corrections has offices in the following locations:
- St. John’s
- Port Saunders
- Corner Brook
- Grand Falls-Windsor
- Happy Valley – Goose Bay
- Harbour Grace
- Port aux Basques