The Commissioner of Lobbyists is appointed by the Lieutenant-Governor in Council (Cabinet) for a term of five years. The Commissioner is responsible for:
- investigating, with reasonable cause, possible violations of the Lobbyist Registration Act, any applicable regulations or Code of Conduct;
- prohibiting or canceling the registration of lobbyists whom the Commissioner determines to have gravely or repeatedly breached the obligations imposed by the Act, regulations or Code of Conduct;
- ordering that some or all registration information be kept confidential;
- recommending changes to the Code of Conduct; and
- submitting an annual report on the Office of the Commissioner of Lobbyists to the Speaker of the House of Assembly.