On October 18, 2017, the Honourable Andrew Parsons, Minister of Justice and Public Safety and Attorney General, announced an initiative to help make Newfoundland and Labrador a safer place for women and girls through the creation of the Minister’s Committee on Violence Against Women and Girls (Committee).
The Committee represents a group of government and community representatives who have experience and knowledge of issues surrounding violence against women and girls, as well as individuals with lived experience. The goal is to share information, exchange ideas, and come up with actions to support an end to gender-based violence in Newfoundland and Labrador.
The Committee held its first meeting on December 8, 2017, at Easter Seals House in St. John’s. At that meeting, participants were asked to discuss the areas that need to change, both within the justice system and elsewhere, in order to end violence against women and girls. Participants were also asked to identify challenges and solutions to ending that violence as well as to identify the roles that can be played by organizations and individuals in implementing solutions.
In order to provide an opportunity for all interested members of the public to provide input, the same questions that were posed to participants at the Committee meeting are available for all to answer. You can submit your ideas, suggestions and comments by completing this feedback form.
- Minister’s Committee on Violence Against Women and Girls – Summary Report from Meeting February 13, 2019 (440 KB)
- Progress Report – Minister’s Steering Committee on Violence Against Women and Girls (485 KB)
- Minister’s Committee on Violence Against Women – Summary Report from Meeting December 8, 2017 (307 KB)
- Progress Report on Justice Minister’s Committee on Violence Against Women and Girls
- Minister Parsons Announces New Committee to Examine the Issue of Violence Against Women and Girls
- Collaboration at Committee Meeting Identifies Next Steps in Addressing Violence Against Women and Girls
- Provincial Advisory Council on the Status of Women
- Violence Prevention Initiative
- Office for the Status of Women
Minister’s Committee on Violence Against Women and Girls
c/o Policy and Strategic Planning Division
Department of Justice and Public Safety
P.O. Box 8700
St. John’s, NL A1B 4J6
Adobe® Acrobat® Reader software can be used for viewing PDF documents. Download Acrobat® Reader for free.