Family Child Care

What is regulated family child care?

Regulated family child care is care provided to children in a child care provider’s home that is either individually licensed by staff of the Department of Education and Early Childhood Development or approved through a family child care agency. The Child Care Services legislation determines the number and ages of children.

^ Top of page

What financial supports are available to family child care providers?

Infant Stimulus Grants

Equipment Grants

  • All regulated family child care providers are eligible to receive an equipment grant to help offset the
    costs of equipment and play materials for their family child care home.

Early Learning and Child Care (ELCC) Supplement

  • Regulated Family Child Care providers who hold Level I Family Child Care Certification or higher are eligible for an annual ELCC supplement of $6,660
  • For information on certification, go to .
  • For more information on the ELCC supplement go to Early Learning and Child Care Supplement

^ Top of page

What are the benefits of becoming a regulated family child care provider?

As a regulated family child care provider, whether licensed individually or approved through a family child care agency, you are able to:

  • Care for up to six children in your home.
  • Receive financial support in the form of equipment grants, ELCC supplement and stimulus grants (for eligible providers).
  • Receive support from home visitors and/or child care services staff in your region.
  • Participate in networking opportunities with other family child care providers.
  • Receive family child care training and other professional development opportunities at little or no cost.

^ Top of page

What is the process to become approved or licensed?

Once you have expressed an interest in becoming a regulated family child care provider, the approval or licensing process can begin. This process involves the following: (please note that the potential family child care provider will receive information and support on each of the following as part of the licensing/approval process):

  • Contacting either a family child care agency (St. John’s or Corner Brook) or through child care staff in the region. (Contact information is at the end of this document.) You will then be sent an application package and will be provided with support from either the agency or the child care staff in the region to complete this application. You will be assigned a home visitor if you are becoming approved by an agency or a social worker/consultant if you are becoming individually licensed by the region.
  • A Fire/Life Safety and Environmental Health inspection of your home by Government Services inspectors – this will be arranged through either the agency or the regional office.
  • Obtaining general liability insurance coverage – your assigned home visitor or social worker/consultant will explain how much coverage is required.
  • Obtaining municipal approval through your municipality.
  • Completion of the Family Child Care Orientation Course. For more information on orientation courses go to . The orientation course can be done, free of charge, through distance education or through a workshop format, depending on your region.
  • First aid training.
  • A clear Certificate of Conduct and Child Protection Records Check for the provider and each adult (over the age of 16) who live in the home.
  • An approved menu plan, program plan of activities, floor plan of your home and an emergency escape plan. Your home visitor or social worker/consultant will provide you with information on the exact requirements for each of these.

^ Top of page

For further information, contact your nearest Child Care Regional Office:


^ Top of Page

Adobe® Acrobat® Reader software can be used for viewing PDF documents. Download Acrobat® Reader for free.