Getting Married


Requirements to Get Married in Newfoundland and Labrador

As a result of a decision by the Supreme Court of Newfoundland and Labrador (Trial Division) on December 21, 2004 the common law definition of marriage is changed in Newfoundland and Labrador to include same-sex marriages.

Existing requirements for getting married in Newfoundland and Labrador apply to same-sex marriages.

Application for a marriage license must be made in person to a marriage licence issuer. Marriage licence issuers are located throughout the province. Information regarding issuers in your area is available from Vital Statistics at (709) 729-0305.

Note: Although only one person is required to apply in person, both parties to the marriage must complete an affidavit and have their signatures witnessed on it by a Commissioner of Oaths, a Justice of the Peace, or a Notary Public. If the application is being completed outside of Newfoundland and Labrador, signatures must be witnessed by a Notary Public. As well, if application is being made by only one party, that party must bring the ID for both parties.

Click here to display the application form affidavit (532 KB).

In Mount Pearl, applications for a marriage license may be made at Vital Statistics, Service NL, 149 Smallwood Drive.

Before you apply, you should be aware of the following:

  • The fee for a marriage licence is $100.
  • The marriage license is valid only in Newfoundland for 30 days from the date of issue, but can be extended in special circumstances.
  • You should apply at least four days before the anticipated date of marriage as there is a four day waiting period between the time the clergy or marriage commissioner receives the license and when the ceremony is performed. .
  • Both parties must be 19 years of age or over. Otherwise, special consents may be required.
  • Proof of age may be required.

Proof of marital status may be required. If divorced, you must present your original Decree Absolute or Certificate of Divorce. If your documents are in a foreign language, you will be requested to provide the original plus a notarized translation. If you were divorced outside Canada, you will be required to provide a letter from a practicing Newfoundland Lawyer stating that you are eligible to marry in Newfoundland and Labrador.

Religious ceremonies may be performed by the registered religious representative of your choice.

Civil ceremonies may be performed by marriage commissioners located throughout the Province.

Adobe® Acrobat® Reader software can be used for viewing PDF documents. Download Acrobat® Reader for free.