Using Representatives and Consultants

Immigration consultants, lawyers, and other representatives give immigration advice and help to immigration applicants, usually for a fee. You do not need to hire an immigration representative to help you with your immigration application. It is your decision. Your application will not be given special attention or guaranteed approval if you use a consultant or lawyer.

Employers who decide to hire a representative must indicate this in the AIP endorsement application. If an employer decides to hire a representative but does not declare this, this is considered to be false and misleading information and will result in the AIP endorsement application being declined. It may also result in the employer losing designation status. Candidates who decide to hire a representative to assist with the permanent residency process must also indicate this with the applicable use of a representative form.

The Office of Immigration and Multiculturalism reserves the right to contact employers and candidates directly regarding their applications, even if they use an authorized representative.

Please read the following information before deciding whether to hire an immigration representative:

  • You do not need to hire an immigration representative to apply for immigration or for Canadian citizenship.
  • Employers who are designated through the AIP will receive access to a dedicated federal program manager that they can call or email at any time for support.
  • Immigration representatives do not have special connections with Newfoundland and Labrador or Canadian government officials and cannot guarantee your application will be successful.
  • Only authorized officers with the OIM and IRCC (including Canadian embassies, high commissions and consulates) can make decisions on your application.
  • Only the following people may charge a fee to represent or advise you on immigration matters with the Governments of Newfoundland and Labrador and Canada:
  • Before you pay anyone a fee, check their credentials to make sure they are members of one of the organizations above and go to their respective websites for further information on their standing and/or registration.
  • Never follow advice to use false documents or making false statements on your immigration application forms. This is illegal and will result in the refusal of your application.
  • Beware of internet scams and false websites. Some websites may appear to be official government websites, but the information they contain may be inaccurate or out of date. The official Immigrate to Newfoundland and Labrador website operated by the Government of Newfoundland and Labrador is The official website of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) is
  • All the forms you need to apply to the AIP are available for free. You will also find free application forms and guides on IRCC’s website.
  • Processing fees are the same at all Canadian visa offices around the world. Fees in local currency are based on official exchange rates and correspond with the amount in Canadian dollars.
  • Canadian visa offices will never ask you to deposit money into an individual’s personal bank accounts or to transfer money through a specific private money transfer company.
  • If you have questions, contact IRCC or the Office of Immigration and Multiculturalism.

To read more, including information on who can legally represent you if you choose to hire an immigration representative, visit IRCC’s web pages on Immigration Representatives.

If you think your immigration representative has treated you unfairly or broken the law while representing you, the IRCC website has information on how to file a complaint.